Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Example of Connection Posts

So, I was driving to school this morning, Wed. 9/14, and I popped in a mix CD I had labeled "Love and Jams" and the first song was by Owl City called, "The Real World."  There is a line in the song that goes:

"Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there." Video link to the lyrics and song.



I thought that this was an interesting concept: why would the singer like reality and perceive it to be lovely but not love it enough to live there?  Where did he live when he wasn't visiting reality?  Where did he call home?  There are a couple of lines that say, "from the green belt balcony, the wildfires look so pretty/ the ponderosa canopy, I'd never leave if it were up to me...", this leads me to believe that maybe the narrator is an animal or an alien with a removed view from above.  Maybe an angel? 

Then I started thinking about how other people perceive reality: they see life as a mess of tangled decisions, fatal mistakes, and lost opportunities.  I personally choose not to see life like that because when I did, I wasn't very happy with myself or my choices or my outlook on life.  So, I gradually changed my perception so I didn't dwell on the negative so much.  It helped that I was working regularly and loved what I did, and got married.  But did the change in attitude occur first or the other things?  Or simultaneously?  I don't know. 

Owl City's official website: http://www.owlcitymusic.com/

Ideas for connections brainstormed in 5th hour:
How to connect to Sophie’s World/philosophy/the real world:


-comics
Ex: Google "philosophical comics" -- I got over 3 million hits on Google and thought this one was pretty cool.



-movies

Ex: Men in Black marble connection

Ex: The Lion King-Fate or Free will?

Ex: Pocahontas Song about stepping into the river twice

Ex: "Never Say Never" Justin Beiber

Ex: Horton hears a Who

Ex: Matrix (is it worth it to know what you will see at the top of the rabbit’s fur?)

-music

Ex: Panic at the Disco dream lyrics

Note: If you use a song, try to quote the lyrics or maybe find a video to put in your blog

-Books - compare SW to other books you've read (shudder Twilight?)
-Connect something to Socrates’ six virtues

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your message will appear as soon as Mr. W. approves it. Thanks.